No www file or public_html directory in remote

Post all HTML related questions hither. No support.

Moderator: Projection members

reacapearl
500 Command not understood
Posts: 3
Joined: 2010-03-06 03:01
Get-go name: Reaca
Last proper noun: Pearl

No www file or public_html directory in remote

#1 Post by reacapearl » 2010-03-06 03:08

Hi at that place,
I'm admittedly completely uneducated in FTP and have learned more than than I ever wanted to know in the past two days. I have a techie friend who has been trying to help me remotely effigy out the problem with why I can't get my website files (made in iWeb) uploaded correctly and so that my website is accessed by http://www.websitename.com as opposed to http://websitename.com/:/Abode.html

I understand that this has to do with the remote binder that I have transferred my iWeb files to. I have been told that I need to transfer my iWeb files to a remote file named "www" or "public_html". Neither of these filenames exist in the remote screen in FileZilla. I accept already deleted the copy of FileZilla that I currently have and re-downloaded it more than than once.

HELP!!!


User avatar

boco
Correspondent
Posts: 25928
Joined: 2006-05-01 03:28
Location: Deutschland

Re: No www file or public_html directory in remote

#2 Post by boco » 2010-03-06 thirteen:23

I guess the location is OK, in that location doesn't have to be a directory with that name, simply IF it exists, yous have to use it.

Your real trouble is the proper noun of your kickoff document. Home.html is a name that won't exist picked up by any browser (unless instructed by .htaccess etc.).

Two problems, in fact:

  • Utilise always all lowercase names for web documents and files. Webservers ordinarily run on *NIX operating systems, which have a case sensitive filesystem and make a difference.
  • Name your starting document index.html or alphabetize.htm and chances are good the browser will option it up.

http://websitename.com/:/Domicile.html

Is the URL correct? The /:/ confuses me, I don't recall that is valid. If you meant http://websitename.com/Home.html, then it's OK.

### Brainstorm SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You lot will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connexion bug? Exercise yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection examination: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### Stop SIGNATURE BLOCK ###


reacapearl
500 Control not understood
Posts: 3
Joined: 2010-03-06 03:01
Showtime name: Reaca
Last name: Pearl

Re: No www file or public_html directory in remote

#3 Mail service by reacapearl » 2010-03-06 fifteen:36

I did rename the starting file already. No change. And, yep, the url I provided you with is right. When I transfer my files to the remote side by drag and driblet they automatically become into a file entitled : This happened when I tried to rename the file containing the entire website / on the advice of someone. Prior to this described try I merely transferred the files as is (did not rename anything) and the url was the same just with /Site/ instead of /:/

The files entitled cgi-bin, stats and .. were the files that were automatically in the FileZilla remote window when I downloaded it.

I'm going crazy trying to figure this out, specially with no website feel whatsoever. I only want to go my practice online! Suggestions?


Extensive
500 Control not understood
Posts: i
Joined: 2010-03-07 15:22
First name: Denise
Final proper name: Coughlin

Re: No www file or public_html directory in remote

#4 Post by Extensive » 2010-03-07 xv:26

I am having this same problem and information technology'south frustrating. I'm able to transfer files fine, but there is no directory on the remote site that lists "public_html" or "world wide web" I did endeavour to create a new directory and it wouldn't accept this.


User avatar

boco
Correspondent
Posts: 25928
Joined: 2006-05-01 03:28
Location: Germany

Re: No www file or public_html directory in remote

#v Postal service by boco » 2010-03-07 xviii:twoscore

Such a directory is not mandatory. The exact details (which directory, filenames etc. must be used) you can only get from your hosting service. Look for a FAQ or tutorial on their website. The used directories and filenames may differ from hoster to hoster!

### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You volition Non go whatsoever reply!!!
FTP connectedness bug? Do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection exam: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### Stop SIGNATURE BLOCK ###


reacapearl
500 Command not understood
Posts: 3
Joined: 2010-03-06 03:01
Commencement proper noun: Reaca
Last name: Pearl

Re: No www file or public_html directory in remote

#half dozen Post by reacapearl » 2010-03-xiv 21:14

Sadly, the host site directs me to FileZilla help stating that the : issue is not a hosting site issue simply an FTP issue. Sigh. Does anyone know what the heck is upward?